Every school has a school council—a group focused on helping all students succeed.
School councils are groups of parents, community representatives, teaching and non-teaching employees, students and the school principal. Through the active participation of parents, school councils work to improve student achievement and enhance the accountability of the education system to parents.
Support for school councils is provided by the Simcoe County District School Board’s Parent Involvement Committee.
Why join us on school council?
Involvement in school council is a meaningful, hands-on way to have a direct, positive impact on your teen’s educational experience. Research shows that when parents are involved in their teen’s education, the level of student achievement increases.
School Council Meeting Dates & Minutes
|2019-2020 School Year||School Councils Annual Report|
|September 16, 2019|
NSSS Parent Council Meeting Minutes
September 16, 2019
Attendance: Tania Bondi, Wendy Carter, Rosalia Primavera, Sherie Jensen, Bonny McMullen, Mel Anderson, Tamara Cresswell, Becky Fitch, Christine Mills, Cheryl Gidden, Carrie Sommerville, and Liselle Prickett
Regrets: Lee Belisle, Anastazia Sampson
Meeting called to order at 6:00pm
Welcomed new members and Introductions were made around the table.
- Tania Bondi and Tamara Cresswell will be co-chairs
- Bonny McMullen will be Secretary
- Did a school wide sign up again this year
- There are more teams and more involvement from Grades 9 and 10 this year
- Ms. Prickett shared the slide below outlining the strategic plan for the school.
- Always looking for ideas on how to positively promote the school
Nantyr Shores Strategic Plan 2019-2023
Celebration of Success
- Awards ceremony
- AP program
- Highlighting stats from report cards
- Parents council
- Social media
- Nantyr news
- Social media
- Parents council
- Bumper stickers
|Setting High Expectations ||Club banquet||Community involvement|
| ||Intramurals|| |
| ||Whole school buy in for big events and days|| |
- EQAO highest in years
- Looking at doing more academic competitions
- Learning centre youth linking with peer mentors in grade 9 and 10 to help build stronger connections
- Whole school buy ins. Ie: Everyone to participate in terry fox walk
- School Pride
- Bumper sticker currently in the design process, hoping to have them ready for sale by mid terms
- Council reviewed and approved the letter that will be going home regarding cell phone usage during school hours.
- Woodworking class is building cell phone boxes for teachers that want one. They have individual slots for cell phones and can be charged while they are locked up.
- Julia is our new office contact. Jennifer was moved to another board and we wish her well.
- Based on feedback from last year we need more baked goods. Some of the school programs are going to be selling baked goods to raise funds for their programs. So we should see lots of yummy treats this year.
- Tables are $35 each this year if booked and paid by November 1st. After this date the price will go up to $50 per table.
- Number of tables allowed this year is still to be determined
- Flyers to be sent out to council for distribution through social media and email
- Still an issue. Consequences are as follows:
- School suspension if under 16 years of age
- $300 fine if 16 or over
- $900 fine if caught handing the vape to someone else
More education will be provided to youth regarding the dangers of vaping.
- Suggestion was brought forth regarding Mental Health and what supports the youth have access to at the school. Many supports are available, will look at making sure students are more aware of all the resources available to them.
- Parent counsel to be invited to Health and Wellness group meeting
Meeting adjourned at 7:20pm
Next meeting to be November 4. 2019 at 6:30pm in the Nantyr Shores library.
|November 4, 2019||NSSS minutes Nov 4 2019.pdf|
|November 18, 2019||NSSS minutes Nov 18 2019.pdf|
|January 20, 2020||NSSS Minutes January 20, 2020.pdf|
School Council Events
November 16th, 2019
Christmas Holiday Market Extravaganza